At a glance:
- A committee member of the film strand at The UK Critics’ Circle; protecting and promoting cultural criticism since 1913. http://www.criticscircle.org.uk/
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival Media Consultant. http://www.londonindianfilmfestival.co.uk
- Talking films at: BBC West Midlands/BBC London
- Listen to Ashanti Omkar on the BBC Asian Network with her eponymous show, covering South India, Sri Lanka and the global diaspora in music and film, with a weekly interview, a Film Spotlight on global cinema, as well as a Track Of The Week, and a Raaga Of The Week for those who are keen to see the evolution of Classical music, bringing 1000 years of tradition to the modern listening sphere.
The brainchild behind Omkari consultancy is Ashanti Omkar, who graduated from Royal Holloway, University of London with an Upper 2:1 Hons in Computer Science, Management and Marketing after doing her A’Levels at The Coopers’ Company and Coborn School in Upminster, Essex at their sixth form with academy status, in Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. She aced pivotal GCSE’s in English language and literature, & Maths, at the leading edge Plashet School in East Ham, London, after moving to the UK from Nigeria, West Africa, aged 12.
Before her media career, she worked as a corporate IT consultant, specialising in data warehousing, for prestigious corporate companies like Credit Suisse, Oracle, PepsiCo, SAP BusinessObjects, Telefónica O2, The Hilton Group plc, amongst others, where she worked on site with the likes of Tesco plc, McDonald’s head office, British Airways, British Petroleum (BP), GEC-Marconi (MES), MOD Guard Service and the Home Office et al, hence honing a steadfast work ethic, with a meticulous focus on consistency and quality.
Spice UK – the UK vertical to market leaders in India, Spice PR, having worked on films like Peepli Live, fromthe Oscar nominated production house, Aamir Khan Productions and India’s Oscar choice in 2010, Dhobi Ghat, Delhi Belly, Talaash (Aamir Khan), Bodyguard (Salman Khan), and the individual PR for top Bollywood talents, like Aamir Khan, Farhan Akhtar and Deepika Padukone, via the talent media relations wing, Spice One.
The London Indian Film Festival (partnered with the British Film Institute, Cineworld Cinemas, Picturehouse Cinemas, Grange Hotels – Europe’s number 1 festival for Indian independent cinema, having showcased films like the Delhi Belly world premiere, Gangs of Wasseypur, Bombay Talkies, Umrika, Sold, Brahman Naman, Parched, and with talent giving master classes at the BFI, like Mani Ratnam, Irrfan Khan, Farhan Akhtar, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Santhosh Sivan, Sharmila Tagore, Ajay Devgn, Shekhar Kapur, et al.
SSE Arena Wembey – concerts – Zee Bollywood Rockstars with Pritam ft Benny Dayal, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Diljit Dosanjh, & Dhoom Summer Masti, a celebration of Pakistan, featuring Abrar Ul Haq, Humaira Arshad et al.
Bollywood | Indian Cinema | Cultural Expert:
- BBC London 94.9FM (Sunny & Shay Show)
- BBC West Midlands 95.6FM (Midlands Masala Show)
- Cineworld Cinemas (In print from 2007 till 2014, then online)
- Digital Spy – digitalspy.co.uk/celebrities/ashanti-omkar
- Monocle Magazine Radio 24 (Cultural and film commentary)
- On the cover of MovieScope Magazine alongside the likes of Nicole Kidman, Gemma Arterton, Rosario Dawson, Priyanka Chopra, celebrating women in film, in 2013
- London correspondent, in print editions till 2014, to Galatta Cinema Magazine (India), and Anokhi Magazine (Canada)
- The London Mela (Classical music stage), Alchemy Festival at The South Bank Centre London (Kavita Krishnamurti and Dr L Subramaniam, with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain), London International Arts Festival, and Dhruv Arts shows.
Social Media Clientelle (2010 till 2014):
- L’orchidee – brand and social media management – situated in Westfield Stratford City, Westfield Shepherd’s Bush, Canary Wharf, and suppliers to Fortnum and Mason
- El Cantara and Maison Touareg (Harrods)
- Pasta Remoli – Westfield Stratford City
- Blade Soho – hair salon and cafe
- The London Mela and Nutkhut