The brainchild behind Omkari consultancy is Ashanti Omkar, who graduated from Royal Holloway, University of London with an Upper 2:1 Hons in Computer Science, Management and Marketing after doing her A’Levels at The Coopers’ Company and Coborn School in Upminster, Essex at their sixth form with academy status, in Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. She aced pivotal GCSE’s in English language and literature, & Maths, at the leading edge Plashet School in East Ham, London, after moving to the UK from West Africa.
Before her media career, she worked as a corporate IT consultant, specialising in data warehousing, for prestigious corporate companies like Credit Suisse, Oracle, PepsiCo, SAP BusinessObjects, Telefónica O2, The Hilton Group plc, amongst others, where she worked on site with the likes of Tesco plc, McDonald’s head office, British Airways, British Petroleum (BP), GEC-Marconi (MES), MOD Guard Service and the Home Office et al, hence honing a steadfast work ethic, with a meticulous focus on consistency and quality.
Spice UK – the UK vertical to market leaders in India, Spice PR, who look after the PR for Yash Raj Films et al, and the individual PR for top Bollywood talents, like Aamir Khan, Farhan Akhtar and Deepika Padukone, via Spice One: spiceuk.net
- 2012 film: Talaash (Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukerji – an unusual film genre for the UK and a non-holiday release, the film hit close to the £1Mil mark) – features placed in the mainstream UK media, like The Guardian, The Metro et al.
- 2011 films: Salman Khan’s Bodyguard (Reliance: broke records in the UK), Delhi Belly (UTV: garnered a clean sweep of mainstream media in the UK), Dhobi Ghat (UTV: carved a niche in the independent genre in the UK and featured 2 sold out screenings at the London Film Festival, with director Kiran Rao Khan in attendance)
- 2010 films: Peepli Live (UTV/Artificial Eye: From the Oscar nominated production house, Aamir Khan Productions and India’s Oscar choice in 2010), Guzaarish (UTV: Hrithik Roshan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan), Break ke baad (Reliance: Imran Khan, Deepika Padukone)
The London Indian Film Festival (partnered with Cineworld, BAFTA, BFI, O2 Telefonica, Grange Hotels and The Tate Modern and V&A museums in the past) – Europe’s number 1 festival for Indian independent cinema: londonindianfilmfestival.co.uk
- 2013: Book-ended by the Cannes hits, Monsoon Shootout and Bombay Talkies, with Life of Pi/Slumdog millionaire star Irrfan Khan who did a BFI (British Film Institute) ‘in conversation’ event – features placed in top trades like Variety and Screen International; national newspapers like The Metro, The Guardian, The Times, Evening Standard in the UK, the New York Times, Huffington Post and top Indian publications like Times of India, Hindustan Times, The Hindu, publications like Time Out, the Guardian Guide and across radio partners like BBC London and BBC Asian Network, TV partners Zee TV, and broadcast on BBC World TV across the world et al.
- 2012: Opened with Gangs of Wasseypur, by Anurag Kashyap, who was in attendance, with Anushka Sharma
- 2011: Opened with the world premiere of Delhi Belly from Aamir Khan Productions/UTV
Bollywood | Indian Cinema | Cultural Expert:
- BBC Publishing/Immediate Media (Cineworld Cinemas Unlimited Magazine – 1/2 Million copies in every UK Cineworld Cinema, UK’s leading cinema chain and the award winning iPad edition – immediate.co.uk/contract-and-content/clients/cineworld
- BBC London 94.9FM
- BBC West Midlands 95.6FM
- IndyBrown.TV (partnered with BollySpice | IMDB | Metro newspaper column | Google News – Associated Newspapers Ltd)
- Digital Spy – digitalspy.co.uk/celebrities/ashanti-omkar
- Monocle Magazine Radio 24 (Cultural and film commentary)
- 2013 Anniversaries: 6th year as Bollywood editor for Cineworld Cinemas, UK’s biggest cinema chain | 10th year in the UK media scene | On the cover of MovieScope Magazine alongside the likes of Nicole Kidman, Gemma Arterton, Rosario Dawson, Priyanka Chopra, celebrating women in film
- Galatta Cinema Magazine (India in print and worldwide on the iPad & Android platforms, via Magzter)
- Anokhi Lifestyle Magazine (Canada/US/UKin print and worldwide, online)
- Bollywood Life (Web – sister site to Hollywood Life)
- 2013: The London Mela (Classical music stage – Amaan and Ayaan Ali Khan with The Philharmonia Orchestra of Great Britain) – around 100,000 people attended this free event, supported by The Mayor of London, Skype, The British heart foundation and Oxfam: londonmela.org
- 2012: Alchemy Festival at The South Bank Centre London (Kavita Krishnamurti and Dr L Subramaniam, with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain): imdb.com/news/ni26283634/
- 2007 to date: judge at Face Off, held at The Barbican and IndigO2 – the largest and longest running British inter-university music and dance competition of its kind in the UK: snents.com
Social Media Clientelle:
- L’orchidee – brand and social media management – situated in Westfield and suppliers to the likes of Fortnum and Mason – www.facebook.com/MyLorchidee
- El Cantara and Maison Touareg – brand and social media management – situated in Soho and Westfield Stratford, and stocked in Harrods – www.facebook.com/ElCantaraLondon | www.facebook.com/MaisonTouareg
- The London Mela and Nutkhut – www.facebook.com/TheLondonMela